Friday, June 22, 2012

Aslan

   On my bed, lying next to me, is a stuffed lion puppet named Aslan. A fifth birthday present from my mother and step-father. He's lived with me for almost eleven years.
   He was purchased from a drugstore in Bloomington, Indiana. His mane is, now, ratted from washing him, then drying him in the dryer.
   He is light brown, with a burnt orange nose. Over his mouth is a dirty white patch, has white fur eyebrows. His mane and tail are brown and black. His eyes are orange with ebony centers.
   He is care-worn, soft and cuddly. He smells of age and dust. He holds all my deepest secrets and he has been my comfort and constant companion in sad times.
   He was there when my grandmother, Memere, passed away. When my grandparents sold my puppy, when my best friend was killed in a car accident and when my mom lost the baby.
   He is named after a lion in C.S. Lewis' classic stories of "Narnia". Sometimes, when I'm by myself, he and I go to Narnia to play and pretend we are kings and queens.
   But it is late, we are both tired. So, as we say goodnight and turn out the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment