Thursday, May 2, 2013

Awaken September's Gods: IX

IX

Once they were deep inside the bunker, Kean began preparations for a fight. She knew it was only a matter of time before the deconstructionists discovered they were gone. And, if this Archivist was anything like previous Archivists, they would be hunting her more than Lorcan and Niamh.

“What are you?” asked Lorcan. He had been quiet until now, obedient and thoughtful, but silent. He no longer held Niamh’s hand and was standing in the archway looking as though he were prepared to run.

“What do you think I am?” she countered, stopping to look at Lorcan. Her silver eyes bespoke centuries of existence and pain.

“I know you are not human. I know that you are, at least part, gynoid. You are not other as Niamh is other, but you are just as alien, foreign.”

Pulling herself up to face Lorcan, Kean allowed another glimpse of what lay behind the mask. It did not surprise her when Lorcan took a step back.

“I am ancient. I was called an ‘elemental’ once. I was also called a witch. At the time I was created the Archivists were at war with a group called the Septemberists. The Septemberists were not quite human and not quite other, but they had power. The Archivists wanted this power for themselves and began kidnapping Septemberists for experiments.

“One of these victims was a young woman with oddly silver eyes. She did not fight back, simply allowing the deconstructionists to take her hostage. She believed she could kill the Archivist and escape. As powerful as she was, she was wrong. Torture and mutilation break you.

“They cracked open her skull and inserted the probes. They stripped skin off one of her arms and replaced bone with mechanized rods. True to their names, she was deconstructed to her base components before being rebuilt. They tried to bind her in the form of a gynoid.

“They discovered, after they rebuilt her, that they could play God with her. They had created her, they would enslave her. They used her, never knowing what her powers were. The Septemberists were destroyed and the Archivists had the last of them as a pet. They may not know what powers they had, but neither would anyone else.

“However, they had left no reason for the girl to live. Her entire world had been destroyed and all she knew was revenge. They had stripped away her identity, had transformed her into this being, this monster. So she sang the wires to life and she woke the fires beneath the earth. The wires moved, like snakes, into the houses of the Archivists. They electrocuted and strangled everything in their path and the fires burned everything.

“The deconstructionists used the scanner hooks to capture her and they brought her to the Caverns. They tortured her with water and electricity. They peeled the flesh from her body so that she was more than naked. They burned her with cigarettes and heated glass. And they reset her.

“She knew only that her name was Kean, a name they gave her, and that she was more, but she was less. She served for two centuries, yearning for a part of her she could not remember.

“At the end of the second century, the Archivists grew lazy and began an experiment. Believing that I had no emotions, and no awareness, they released me into the human world to see if they could make me human again. What they had forgotten was I was never human to begin with. I rediscovered myself in the Caverns, the tapes and records of my existence kept in the open. They believed me docile, what need was there of lock and key?

“Again I awakened the wires and the fire. I called the winds and the oceans as well. This time they were completely unaware and I ravaged their numbers. When they began to fight back, I disappeared, leaving only my name behind. The new Archivist is led down to the Caverns each summer to learn why I should never be forgotten.”

Lorcan was silent for a long moment, just looking at her. She did not move, only watched for him to come to his conclusions. He glanced at Niamh, who looked chilled, before looking back at Kean.

“Can you raise the wires as you did before?” he asked.

“I can.”

“Can you raise deactivated androids and gynoids?”

“I can.”

“When do we attack?”

Kean smiled, feral and wicked.

No comments:

Post a Comment