Friday, May 10, 2013

Screaming Whispers

I could spend my life writing poetry you'll never read.
We could spend an eternity not saying what we're thinking,
avoiding the topics, wishing they would just go away.
You could tell me the truth, be honest with me for just a moment,
let the walls come down.

I whisper the things I want to scream.
Things that I'm dying to tell you, though I know you won't hear.
We talk, but we never speak. Words are just filler, there is
no real depth. We're afraid to reveal anything beyond the superficial.
You hold me at bay, always at a distance, never letting me in.

I love too easily. I wish for things that I don't deserve.
We aren't happy here, but we keep going because it is comfortable.
Its easy to believe the things we tell ourselves as long as we never
question.
You light another cigarette, filling the spaces between us with smoke.

I run away because I am scared of commitment. I never stay,
hoping for something better to come along even though I love you.
We have collapsed into this space I don't want us to be in.
You don't say anything, your silence cutting like a knife.
I want more than I am entitled to because I love you.

I can't hate you, but I can lose my faith, lose my trust. And in the end
isn't that the same thing as hating you?
We creep towards an undefined destination. We aren't running through
the flowers any longer.
You don't seem to mind that we've come to this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment