Thursday, January 17, 2013

Tangled Thoughts

I saw you today. And it was like a fist in my stomach.
How does time go by and you remain unchanged?
I barely recognized your face, a face I used to have memorized.
You knew me first. Where was your wedding ring?
Aren't you still ensconced in her arms at night?
Why are we running across each other this late in the evening?
Why are you shopping at Wal-Mart at 10:20 post meridium?
I have so many questions, but I can't ask them.
We stand awkwardly. I want to rub in your face my happiness.
I can't bring myself to say anything and I'm still staring.
Staring at your ringless finger. Did you leave it at home?
What can the meaning be? Why do I even care?
This has to be the worst night to see you.
I'm wearing my brother's t-shirt, baggy jeans and my hair up.
Why did you recognize me first? What was that look I saw?
Is it just my imagination or was there some happiness there?
I am an idiot. I thought I had forgotten you, but I didn't.
I should've known that I never could.
We never get over this kind of thing.
But you led me on, so I shouldn't care what is going on with you.
I shouldn't ask any questions. I shouldn't have stopped to say hi.
I wish I hadn't. I wish I had just smiled and kept walking.
I hate you.
I miss you.
I wish I could just erase you from my memory. Just a ghost.
A spectre of my imagination, gone with the dawn, like a dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment