Monday, March 11, 2013

Paradiso

Stay awake with me through this long and frightening night.
Don't close your eyes, there will be time to sleep in the future.
I'm losing faith in you, in this, in us. I'm losing faith in
the words we say.

Do you really mean it when you say "I love you."?
Why don't you call me baby or darling? Why do I hear those
endearments from men who are not my husband? From men who
aren't you?

Why don't you seem to want to spend time with me anymore?
Who are you?
Who am I?
Have we worked so hard for so long to lose it now?

You aren't worried about my affections. I've made my loyalty clear.
I've never, purposely, betrayed your trust. I've always worked
hard to maintain this. Up until now I'd have said you were working too.
We've become lazy. It feels different than it used to.

You never use our silly words for love anymore. I don't either.
I'm miserable, darling. I want you. I want this to work, but sometimes
I think it'd be better to give it up. I'm tired of working so hard.
I'm tired of feeling like this. Do you even notice?

Have you noticed how we don't really talk anymore? Have you noticed
that when we do it is usually an argument? Have you noticed that all of
our intimacy seems to have dissipated? Have you noticed anything besides
what exists in your own world?

All is not well in our paradise. Eden is slowly crumbling from
underneath our feet and you don't seem to notice. Or is it that
you don't care? Don't close your eyes, love. Please, just stay
awake tonight. Help me figure all this out before we lose it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment