Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Doll: Act One: Scene One

Scene I

     Light up on a young woman dressed in black. Flowing black skirt, black blouse, black heels. She wears them awkwardly, as if she is playing dress up in an older sibling's clothes. Tucked under one arm she has a doll, also dressed in black, and a small bunch of white violets in her other hand. She is standing next to a bench, looking around nervously and seeming somewhat lost.

Male Voice Offstage: Sara? Sara! Sara, this is no time for games, we have to go. Sara?

(Enter a young man, also dressed in black. Black vest over a black shirt, sleeves rolled up to mid-forearm. Black slacks, black tie, black shoes. He immediately crosses over to the young woman, takes her arm and turns her so that she is facing him.)

Sara: (looking pleadingly at the young man) Jack, please, do we have to go? Isabel (indicating the doll) and I don't want to go, please don't make us go.

Jack: Yes, we have to go. Sara, its your grandmother's funeral! You have to go. (Somewhat harshly) Besides, Isabel can't talk, so she can't complain about not wanting to go. (Still holding Sara's arm, he tries to drag her off stage, but she resists.)

Sara: (Breaking his hold on her arm) No. I won't go. I don't want to go. I'm tired of funerals. I'm tired of everyone saying Memere (pronounced like Mem-may) went to be with Momma in heaven. (She walks a little way from him, her back facing him) I want to go home, I want my Memere. I want her to make some hot cocoa and hold me. (Sits down on the bench, defeated.) I don't want to go (last is said lamely)

Jack: (Letting his impatience turn into temper) Too bad, you have to go. (He goes over to Sara, grabs her arm and yanks her up from the bench) You ARE going, if I have to drag you there I will!

Sara: (whimpers) But Isabel says...

Jack: (cutting her off) Isabel says nothing! Isabel is a damn doll, Sara! She can't say anything! (He yanks the doll out of Sara's arms and throws her to the ground so that the doll's face breaks off)

Sara: (kneels down beside the broken doll) Memere gave her to me. (She picks up the faceless doll and cradles it) She said if I took care of her I would never be alone. But she is dead now, I am all alone. (Whispers) Alone.

Jack: (kneels down beside Sara) Sara, I'm sorry... I didn't mean... Its just that... I'm really sorry, Sara. We can fix her ... (trails off)

Sara: (Looks at Jack) You didn't have to kill her, Jack. Just because she didn't want to go ... (pause) You didn't have to kill her. (She stands up, still cradling the "dead" doll, and walks offstage leaving Jack with the doll's shattered face.)

Jack: (Rises quickly, angry again and shouting) I didn't kill her, she's just a doll! You're 21 now, its time to stop playing with dolls and playing dress up! (Walks after her, stops just before he exits, still shouting) Its time to grow up, Sara!

                                            Black Out

No comments:

Post a Comment