Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Silly Argument

Character 1 (C1) [Female]
Character 2 (C2) [Male]

                          Setting: Park. Early September. Late Afternoon

     Characters 1 and 2 enter from the left. They look mad at each other. Character 1 has her arms crossed over her chest. Character 2 is looking away from Character 1. There is a bench, but neither one sits down, instead they stand, facing each other, yet not looking at each other.

C1: I can't believe you told my mother she was fat!

C2: Well, she is. And I didn't tell her she was fat, I said that a whale was having an easier time getting into that dress than she was.

C1: And that's not calling her fat? And she isn't fat! (Looks very irritated.)

C2: Fine, she's not fat. (Looks very aggravated.)

C1: You are so rude! I don't understand why I even started going out with you! (Says the last part softly, but just loud enough for C2 to hear.)

C2: (Voice Rising) Well, I can't believe I'm going out with you!

C1: (Voice also Rising) You used to be so nice! What happened to you!?

C2: Nothing happened to me! You just became a Nag!

C1: [Gasp] You impertinent, (searches for the words.) mean person!

C2: I can't stand you! (Starts pacing back and forth in front of the bench)

C1: Well, I can't stand you either. (C2 stops pacing and looks at C1)

C2: Well, what are you going to do about it?

C1: Here, (pulls at a ring on her finger) you can take this back! (Throws ring at C2)

C2: (Looks a little hurt. He leans down and picks up the ring.) But I gave this to you on our first anniversary.

C1: So? We're breaking up right? Why do I need it?

C2: (Puts the ring in his pocket.) Well, whatever you want. (Sees a pretty girl walking by. Starts following her.)

C1: (Grabs C2's arm.) I can't believe you're already following another woman!

C2: I thought we broke UP!

C1: We never actually said it was over!

C2: You threw your ring at me!

C1: That doesn't mean it's over!

C2: Well is it over!?

C1: (Calms down some, lowers voice.) No, well, I don't want it to be over.

C2: (Calms down as well.) Well, I don't want it to be over either.

C1: Why were we arguing?

C2: (Says like a sigh) About your mother.

C1: Oh (pause). Well, she really is fat.

C2: (Laughs) You're right.

C1: Don't ever tell her I said that.

C2: Don't worry, your dirty little secret is safe with me.

C1: Let's never argue again, okay?

C2: Okay. (Hugs C1)

     Character 1 and Character 2 exit stage Right.

No comments:

Post a Comment