Saturday, April 28, 2012

Leave me Be

I've tried to forget you. I've tried my damnedest to forget the feel of your breath on my ear,
forget those perfect lips I wanted so desperately to kiss. Your lips keep whispering to me.
What if's, I wish's and maybe's linger in the space that I've allowed to be built between us.
Why do I keep torturing myself with memories of you? Why can't I just let you go?

Please, leave me alone. Stop plaguing my dreams, my thoughts, my breaking heart.
Why can't I forgive myself for pushing you away? Why can't I leave the past in the past?
Could you give me back my sleepless nights? The tears I cried for nights on end?
Your lips keep whispering to me, your touch sends shivers up and down my spine.

Damn you and your arms, the ones that held me when I cried.
Damn you and your mouth, the lips that keep telling me of my faults.
Damn you and your heart, the one I wish had been mine.
Damn you and everything about you, I wish I could just let you go.

I don't understand how I can still love you, you who betrayed my trust, who let me go.
But every time I hear that song, or read a line, or see your name, my heart races.
It races toward you, searching for the one I fell for, but you aren't there anymore.
Maybe you never were to begin with. And that hurts worse than any knife or bullet.

I am letting you go, I can't spend the rest of my life writing regrets into poetry.
I have to move on, I have to let you go and forgive myself for things that weren't my fault.
This is my second chance, my last opportunity to speak my peace, to close the doors.
I loved you more than you ever knew. Your lips will stop whispering and I will have peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment